Our English tutors teach you how to study smart so you can maximise your marks. Our program at JP English reflects our unique insight into the exam technique and study methods needed for the HSC.
Common Module: Texts and Human Experiences
Weekly feedback allows students to perfect their essays that draws links between their prescribed texts and human experiences, and unseen text papers are provided to maximise performance in Paper 1 Section 1.
Module A: Textual Conversations
Students construct nuanced arguments about how respective contexts shape the resonances or dissonances between their prescribed texts. Exam question resources are provided to optimise school performance.
- William Shakespeare, King Richard III & Al Pacino, Looking for Richard
- William Shakespeare, The Tempest & Margaret Atwood, Hagseed
- Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway & Stephen Daldry, The Hours
- John Keats, The Complete Poems & Jane Campion, Bright Star
- Sylvia Plath, Ariel & Ted Hughes, Birthday Letters
- John Donne poetry & Margaret Edson, W;t
Module B: Critical Study of Literature
There will be an depth focus on how prescribed texts present main ideas that are relevant to the composer’s context. Through an informed perspective, students write insightful essays discussing how texts formulate textual integrity.
- T S Eliot, T S Eliot: Selected Poems
- William Shakespeare, King Henry IV, Part 1
- George Clooney, Good Night and Good Luck
- Kazuo Ishiguro, An Artist of the Floating World
- Charles Dickens, Great Expectations
- Jane Austen, Emma
- Henrik Ibsen, A Doll’s House
Module C: Craft of Writing
- Kate Chopin, The Awakening
- Franz Kafka, Metamorphosis
- Nam Le, Love and Honour and Pity and Pride and Compassion and Sacrifice
- Colum McCann, Thirteen Ways of Looking
- Helen Garner, How to Marry your Daughters
- George Orwell, Politics and the English Language
- Zadie Smith, That Crafty Feeling
- Margaret Atwood, Spotty-Handed Villainesses
- Geraldine Brooks, A Home in Fiction
- Noel Pearson, Eulogy for Gough Whitlam
- Gwen Harwood, Father and Child
Students receive comprehensive booklets for their prescribed texts that are written by state ranking tutors. Lessons cover key ideas of texts, links to the module, context, structure, form, detailed annotations of the text.
Taught in one on one or small group settings which are text specific, we provide individualised feedback to prepare you for your school assessments.
Free Unlimited Marking Service
Students enrolled in weekly group classes are entitled to submit unlimited number of scripts for online marking throughout the term. This, combined with our in class assessment help, helps to maximise school exam and assessment performance.
Exam technique practice
Preparing essays is just one part of assessment preparation. We also focus on exam technique to maximise your exam performance.
We give you additional insight into what is required for top marks by showing and discussing student exemplars from past top performing students eg state rankers.